Having received news of further heavy snow in the coming week from Innsbruck-based meteorologist Karl Gabl, alpinists Simone Moro (ITA) and Denis Urubko (KAZ) took the very difficult decision to stop their expedition and return home. The team will wait in the heart of the storm for approximately four days until porters arrive. A two-day fair weather window is forecasted which will allow the descent back.
Setting off for the expedition 51 days ago on 26th December 2011, and led by good physical and mental preparation and good weather conditions, the team reached base camp (4,200m) on 3rd January 2012. Within one month, Moro & Urubko had set up three camps to reach 6,600m up the mountain. However, since 27th January 2012, they have been blocked at base camp due to intense and constant snowfall.
“Preparation, self-training, logistics and technology are vital supports for alpine projects like this one on Nanga Parbat. They make all the difference, as seen last year on the successful Gasherbrum II expedition. However, in the end, the relationship is between man and mountain; if nature doesn’t offer the perfect conditions to reach the objective, this doesn’t have to be considered as a failure, but as an experience for future projects,” reflected Simone Moro.
Denis Urubko cites: “A beautiful mountain and an intense adventure with true friends. Thanks to God we are still here, ready to start new challenges.”
Admitting that the winter and the mountain finally won against their patience and willpower, Moro & Urubko pay tribute to two other expeditions taking place at the same time: a Russian team on K2, and a Polish team who also resigned to Nanga Parbat’s harsh weather conditions.
Moro, Urubko and expedition photographer Matteo Zanga would like to thank all the people that supported them during this long wait; including the many fans and sponsors who supported and encouraged with their messages.