The North Face® Atheletes: Simone Moro, Denis Urubko.
Elevation: 8125 meters.
After their first winter ascents of Gasherbrum II, The North Face Expedition Team is getting ready for the next project: the first winter ascent of Nanga Parbat 8125 meters. This Expedition will feature only Simone Moro and Denis Urubko without Cory Richards; the third of the trio on the last GII winter ascent.
The mountain is also known with the name of “killer mountain” due the difficulties and the tragedies happen during the attempts to conquer the summit between 1930 and 1953. Also after that years a lot of fatalities involved alpinists of different nationalities.
NANGA PARBAT CLIMBING HISTORY:
- 1895 First attempt( A. Mummery)
– 1953 Nanga Parbat first climb along Rakiot Face, Herman Buhl in a solo summit push.
– 1962 Second climb on Diamir Face (Kinshofer)
– 1970 Reinhold and Gùnter Messner climbed the Rupal face and descent the Diamir face
– 1978 Solo climb of a new route along the Diamir face (Reinhold Messner)
– 2005 New route in alpine style Rupal face (S.House e V. Anderson)
Athletes: The North Face®/Denis Urubko – Simone Moro
Photographer: The North Face®/Cory Richards / Simone Moro
Location: Gasherbrum II (Pakistan), Meru (India)